•Seek permission from mortgage company – if applicable
•Insure the property. Inform the Insurer that it is for Rental.


It will help if the property is decorated in neutral colours.

The carpets and oven if applicable should be cleaned professionally if required. Therefore, when the Inventory is done this can not be argued that it was not done prior to the new Tenant receiving keys as we would expect the Tenant to do the same on the vacation of the property.

Check the property for leaks, check that all light bulbs are working and all keys fit all locks.

Decide on a date to start letting the property.

Check that there are Smoke Alarms ideally hard wired than battery on each level installed and working.
It is strongly advised to install a Carbon Monoxide Alarm (C02) in the property near the Gas Boiler or any Gas Fired Appliance including a wall mounted Fire if present in the property.

Arrange for an Energy Performance Certificate to be done. ( We can arrange this if you have not already got one)

Arrange for Gas Safety Report or Oil Report to be carried out before the start of the tenancy if applicable. (Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulation 1994 (amended 1996) all gas appliances in tenanted premises must be checked for safety at interval of not more than 12 months, by a GAS SAFE registered gas engineer, and a safety certificate issued. Records must be kept of the dates of inspections, of defect identified and any remedial action taken.) This can be arranged by the Agent once a tenant is found.

Ensure that the Electrical installation (fixed wiring, etc) and any Electrical Appliances supplied are safe to use and a Report is carried out by a qualified Electrical engineer and certified at least every 5 years or recommended before each new tenant moves in to the property. (The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 requires landlords to ensure the electrical installation is safe when the tenancy begins, and that it is maintained in a safe condition throughout that tenancy, each time the property is re-let, it will be classed as supplying to that tenant for the first time. The National Institution of Electrical Engineers recommends that electrical installations are formally inspected and tested by a competent person on change of occupancy, and at least once every ten years. If landlords provide any electrical appliances (cookers, kettles, toasters, washing machines, immersion heaters, etc) as part of the tenancy, the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 require them to ensure the appliances are safe to use when first supplied. Each time the property is re-let, it will be classed as supplying to that tenant for the first time.)

Landlord Registration
It is a legal obligation for all Landlords operating in Wales to register in order to comply with the law. Please read further information on our website under Landlord and Agent Licensing or visit We are unable to market your property if you are not registered.

Keep a record of keys given out, ensure you have enough sets and give a set to the Agent
Compose an inventory of the property including contents and state of carpets/floor coverings etc take photographs if possible. (This will be done by the Agent if fully managed)

Inform the utility companies of the change of responsibility – gas, electricity, telephone, council tax etc

Take metre readings and arrange for final bills to be forwarded to your home address

Arrange for the property to be professionally cleaned if required.

General Product Safety – The General Product Safety Regulations 1994 specify that any product supplied in the course of a commercial activity must be safe. In the case of letting, this would include both the structure of the building and it’s contents. Recommendation is to check for obvious danger signs – leaning wall, sharp edges etc and also leave operation manuals or written instructions about high risk items, such as hot surfaces, electric lawn mowers etc for the Tenant.

The Agent will confirm that once Tenants are referenced and a date has been set for the commencement of the tenancy that there are sufficient sets of keys for all tenants, the agent and yourself
•The Agent will ensure that you receive a copy of the Tenancy Agreement signed on your behalf by the Agent and by the Tenants, bond deposited to the Deposit Protection on your behalf.

Rental income is treated as unearned income and subject to tax after allowances and expenses. All outgoings including our charges, apart from improvements, may be offset against tax. Contact your local Tax Office for further advise and information.

Landlords are responsible for insuring the building and their own contents (including fitted carpets, curtains, etc.) and should advise their insurer accordingly. Tenants are responsible for insuring their own contents. Landlords will need the permission of the lender to let the property, if it is mortgaged. It is also advised that the Landlord speak to their Insurance Company about specialist Landlords Insurance to cover such risks as damages, loss of items or rent, legal fees. The Agent will not under any circumstances be liable for any outcome of a Tenancy for loss of rent, loss or damages of items or legal fees.